Sonoma Coast

Sonoma Coast

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Another Girasole

I am in love with this shawl, made with one strand of a single ply merino yarn, Malabrigo Lace. At first I was unsure of the yarn choice. In fact, it started as a swatch, and then I couldn't stop! The result is a feather-weight, exquisite feeling shawl. I wear it both folded in half and completely open. It will look just as great with jeans and a white top as over a dress.

Also, this was my first lace project knitting continental style. I'm glad to report that it was a breeze, and probably the reason that this shawl only took three weeks to complete, start to finish! I started knitting continental style about a year ago, but had only used it to knit garter stitch and stockinette projects in the round.... until now! My lace stitches aren't perfect yet, some of the yarn overs differ in size for example. But now I have the confidence to keep practicing...practice makes perfect!

Revisiting this pattern was a lot of fun, and may have been another reason why this second one flew off the needles. Working a big lace project is like reading a long epic novel. The anticipation of what comes next keeps me going, and I can't put it down. Watching the lace evolve and take shape through my fingers is like the weaving of a story. And then the piece has its own story that stays with me long after its completed.

Thanks for reading about my journey! I love this shawl!



No comments:

Post a Comment