Sonoma Coast

Sonoma Coast

Monday, May 23, 2011

GirasOle!


I still don't have decent photos to share. Suffice to say, I love this shawl... so much I want to marry it! There was life before Girasole, and there is life since. A new Era in which I am in an eternal state of baby cashmerino bliss.
This project has satisfied on so many levels. First and foremost, it is based on pi (the idea that a circle doubles its circumference in a series of increases that double themselves and which keep doubling their distance apart) which is always a plus for this math nerd. I learned to read my lace instead of glancing at the chart so often. Rounds and rounds of 640 sts will do that I guess. The patterning would change just often enough to keep my interest. And the edging was fun to learn and all garter stitch (knit every stitch). Every stitch was a dream, really. I love this yarn.
And now I get to wear it and wear it before the inevitable summer heat arrives. Though I think it may be light enough for a summer evening wrap. And I say this often, but this really is the prettiest thing I've ever made.
This is also the biggest project I've ever blocked, and it was challenging. I didn't know how to properly pin out a shawl, and it turns out I didn't do it right. But I really like how the edging came out in my method! The points appear uneven and not perfectly pointy. It gives the shawl an Arts & Crafts look, which I love. I will re-block it properly at some point. It has the potential to grow a few inches.
Will definately be spiraling forth more of these in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment